Saturday, June 2, 2012

Scripps and Spelling Bees

I watched a few episodes of the telecast of the Scripps National Spelling Bee 2012, and I must say that that was one heck of a Spelling competition. Kids not beyond their eighth grade spell words of different origins and, I reckon, out-of-this-world words - words I could not even pronounce myself and words I hardly knew ever existed - in front of a live audience. That's why I highly revere them for their dedication to spelling in such young ages.

   With that, I share that I can relate to their situation, because I joined twice in a spelling bee competition way back when. I was in third year High School, representing my school and competing against the fifteen others in our division. I was blessed with a 2nd place during that year, 2008. But since I wasn't able to be in first place, I was again sent to contest during my fourth year in High School. Although, sadly, I slid down to third place for a reason that I was not conditioned that much compared to the year before. But I was happy, for I brought honor to my school for two consecutive years, and to think that I beat the others being the second and third place among fifteen.

   That was so long ago that I already lost my keen sense of spelling words often misspelled. How do you correctly spell accommodate again? What about lieutenant? Ack, I need to redeem my spelling prowess.

No comments:

Post a Comment